Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Obuda, Buda, Pest here we come!

A few days ago, we decided to change our trip itinerary a little. We're now going to visit Budapest instead of Vienna on the recommendation of a friend who has lived and studied there. After some research and discussion, the character, history and sheer beauty of the city won us over.

-The Chain Bridge, connecting Buda to Pest over the Danube River-

I was excited to find a great little online airfare from Venice to Budapest on Sky Europe - a central European value airline I'd never ever heard of. Nevertheless, a fantastic fare of 45 Euros per person!

What I didn't expect was having the Formula One Grand Prix in town the same weekend we'll be there. As a result, it has taken me 3 days to find a suitable hotel with vacancies! Most of the popular hotels are already fully booked and if they aren't, require a minimum 3 or even 4 night stay at a premium. Fortunately, I've managed to find a basic hotel in a fantastic location for our 2 night stay albeit paying 30Euro more per night than if we were staying any other time of the year. I guess you just can't win 'em all.

No comments: