Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Ramadan: Week 2

More random thoughts and experiences so far in our second week of Ramadan:

  • After that mad rush grocery shopping at our local Carrefour 2 weekends ago, we tried shopping after iftar. This worked out well in that it was much quieter, but the shelves were also much emptier. No chicken breast (again!), no asparagus, very limited range and choice of fresh herbs and vegetables that I usually pick up too. Might have to try doing a mid-week shop during the day this week.
  • Switched from my usual chewing gum to Smints - much more discreet.
  • Lunch at home before heading out to meet friends rather than going out for lunch.
Yesterday evening while walking Gypsy Dog [around iftar time], I bumped into one of our Arab neighbours that has a Bichon Frisé. He was with a friend carrying grocery bags, obviously heading home to prepare for iftar. I found the conversation that followed rather amusing:

Neighbour: Hi! How are you? How is Gypsy Dog?
Me: Hi! We're fine! How are you? How is Brandy (the name of his Bichon Frisé)?
Neighbour: Good. Are you fasting?
Me: No, no...
Neighbour: Why?
Me: *Speechless and confused look* Um... why...?
Neighbour: *Grins* You should, it's very healthy for you.
Me: *giggle* Ok. I will give it a try...
Neighbour: Ok, see you later... and remember to fast - it's healthy!
Me: Ok. See ya later, bye!

2 comments:

rinaz said...

Hehe :)

So will you be fasting anytime soon? Its healthy yes, but a full day fast could be overwhelming for first timers!

And I love the colour scheme going on here, lovely green! :)

GYPSY GIRL said...

Haha, yeah I was kind of joking with him when I said that because to be honest I was quite surprised by his reaction when I said I wasn't fasting!

But yes I have been thinking about it and would like to give it a go and do the whole thing like with Suhoor and Iftar too. Actions speak louder than words tho ;-)

I think I like this colour scheme better too. Thanks.