Friday, March 31, 2006

Ay Karama!

My girlfriend, Joy and I decided to spend an afternoon shopping at the Karama souks yesterday. It was her first and my second time there.

[Al] Karama is notorious for its copy designer handbags, clothes, shoes, watches and DVD's. This is the place to come if you want to get a bargain and have lots of energy to haggle! As you walk through the maze of shops, you will be asked again and again if you'd like copy handbags, watches, DVD's, pashmina shawls... by men hoping to lure you into their Aladdin's cave of treasures.

...Karama souk...

We stopped for lunch at a Filipino restaurant which was, as Gypsy Boy likes to say, 'cheap and good'. It was a first for me and I ordered 'Pancit with bihon', secretly hoping it would be like Malaysian 'ying yong' noodles. Alas, it turned out to be rice noodles (bihun) with thicker yellow noodles stir-fried with chicken and shrimp. I have to say it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

As the shops started to close for the afternoon siesta, we moved on to a nearby shopping mall before heading to Joy's where we watched 'Memoirs of a Geisha' on DVD.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Gypsy Girl,

I found your blog yesterday while browsing on Technorati.com, and was struck by a couple of similarities between yours and mine; we've both moved out to the Middle East because of our partners' jobs and we both like to include lots of photos.
I also discovered Clustrmap.com thanks to your blog - thanks! I now have a brand new clustrmap on my blog http://nealofarabia.blogspot.com
Let's hope I can build up as impressive a geographical spread as you have!

Keep it up,
Chris

GYPSY GIRL said...

Hi Chris,

That's very cool! Good to know you've got some ideas from my blog. I'll definitely be checking your blog out too soon :-)

Cheers,
Gypsy Girl