Sunday, February 05, 2006

Women's queues

It sure feels like Christmas right now! Our shipment of goods got delivered today, and I've been unpacking boxes all afternoon. With every piece it's like, I wonder what's in here under all this packaging? It's great to see all our bits from home, like my antique marble table [an heirloom piece that belonged to my grandmother], and my sculpture from Nelson... Then, with some of the other stuff it's like "hmmm, did I really pack that in?".

Before the goods actually got delivered to our apartment, we actually had to go to the port to sign for our stuff and be present for the customs inspection. There was a queue going out the door for the paperwork and naturally we went to the back of the line. Then, a guy queues in behind us and lets me know that I don't need to queue because I'm a 'lady'! I felt a little guilty as I'm sure those guys had been waiting for hours. Oh well, better them than me.

I'd forgotten all about 'Ladies queues' as when we first arrived in Dubai, I came across these a few times (usually banks, utility offices etc). There are a lot more men than there are women here. To avoid queueing up with men, there are places that offer a separate queue or waiting area just for ladies. This is great as the queue is either a lot shorter or non-existent so you definitely get quicker service!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a graduate student in British Columbia, Canada (studying literature) and have recently been thinking about the possibility of a career and future in Dubai. I was so pleased to come across your blog, which is exactly the type of thing I was looking for - that is, a newcomer's experiences there in the UAE. Please keep up the blogging, and feel free to correspond with me at rmiller@sfu.ca I'd love to hear and learn more.

cheers,
Ryan

GYPSY GIRL said...

Hi Ryan,
Good to know you enjoy reading my blog. Cheers, Gypsy Girl.