Sunday, September 24, 2006

Back to school

The new semester has started, and I've enrolled and had my first class at art school. The biggest surprise is that Gypsy Boy has decided to join me!


We have a 3 hour class in oil painting each Saturday this semester at the Dubai International Art Centre. Housed in a large villa, the Centre has a real community feel with a reception area, an art shop, its own cafe and of course, classrooms.

Our class is small with just five students - all with mixed abilities - and our teacher is from Bulgaria, but has lived and worked in France, Italy, Austria and now in Dubai. We had a choice of either painting from a still life our teacher put together or something of our own.

Gypsy Boy and I came prepared with our own photographs we had picked out earlier last week from our own collection. The photograph I picked is simply a close-up of some flowers while Gypsy Boy is quite a bit more ambitious painting from a shot we took of a street in Nice lined with colourful apartments, balconies and even a café scene with people outside!

Even though Gypsy Boy is doing the course just for a bit of fun, I was really impressed with what he has done so far! He definitely has more talent than he lets on. Anyway, the three hours really zoomed by and I am already looking forward to the next class. More updates as we progress!

No comments: