Saturday, September 16, 2006

Snowboarding in Dubai

It's so surreal. It's 2230 and Gypsy Boy and I have just come home from Snow school! We've both been skiing before but it was our first time snowboarding, just so weird to have this experience here in the middle of the desert!

We've been wanting to try snowboarding for awhile, and so when Gypsy Boy came across a special promotion in a magazine yesterday, we decided to give this a shot! The promo included a snowboarding [or ski] lesson for 2 including gear hire and a 3 course meal at St. Moritz café, all for 220dhs or approx. NZD100.00!


...inside Ski Dubai...

As we live just behind the Mall of the Emirates where Ski Dubai is located, we've been past hundreds of times but have never been in. I have to say they've done a fantastic job with the place, it really is huge and everything was clean, new and felt pretty authentic. The place was huge and comes complete with the world's first indoor black run, lots of cafés and restaurants set up with a Swiss Alps feel.

...The Mall of the Emirates...

It's also really cold inside! After going in from outside temperatures of 40 degrees C, I was freezing! The snow was also really good quality and it wasn't icy at all as I thought it would've been.

As for snowboarding, I don't know that I'd like to do it again. It was ok but not as easy as I thought it would be? I am not a good skiier by all means, but I think I prefer skiing. We do like Ski Dubai though and plan to go back again soon, especially when it's right at our doorstep!

2 comments:

rinaz said...

Hi Gypsy girl :)

Was just reading your blog from the most recent to the most beginning and I was just wondering how it all started.

From bits and pieces, I think you're chinese malaysian, who moved to New Zealand for a bit and then now staying in Dubai because of Gypsy Boy.

Am I right so far?

It looks like such a fabulous lifestyle being to interesting places :)

GYPSY GIRL said...

Hi Marina!

Thanks for visiting my blog :-) I can't believe you read all the posts - I guess there's not too many compared to yours!!

Yes, born in Malaysia, grew up in NZ, and now living in Dubai!

You would make a great detective ;-)

Ciao for now!