Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bonjour Bruxelles!

So here we are in Brussels, where Gypsy Boy is attending a short course for work and I am taking full advantage of the benefits!


...Heading in the wrong direction!...

Yesterday afternoon, I set out looking for the famous Grand Place which is just a stone's throw away from our hotel, but I missed the turning and got a little lost. I gave up using my little map and decided to practise my French by asking for directions. A kind man in a suit offered to show me the way as he was headed for similar direction. Like when we were in France, I am trying my best to only speak French [apart from when talking with Gypsy Boy of course!]. I learnt that the gentleman is actually a Parisian but works as a diplomat here in Brussels!

...On the right track - passing a beautifully decorated shop in an arcade...

Alas, I found my way down a winding alley filled with restaurants and cafes boasting traditional Belgian fare, many displaying fresh seafood on ice on the terrace. A restaurant called Chez Leon caught my eye and I decided to stop for a spot of lunch. Evidently as popular as rumoured in travel guides, it was one of the only places that was busy. I was seated at a table adjoining one with an older Belgian couple on the terrace. The couple, like the gentleman I'd met earlier, were curious to learn where I come from having heard me order in French! Of course, once I say Dubai and New Zealand, they are all the more curious! Hee hee.

...Looking for lunch...

After I finish my seemingly huge but delicious pot of Belgian mussels and frites, our conversation [en Français!] continues and we chat for the next hour or so before I finally make my way over to Grand Place. Leading away from the square, I wandered down the lanes full of quaint Belgian chocolatiers, lace and embroidery shops, and workmen busy putting up Christmas decorations.


...Grand Place...

One of my favourite things to do when in a foreign city, is to visit the supermarket. Yesterday afternoon I came across 3! I just love browsing the aisles to see all the different products and discovering the local fruit, veg and food the locals buy. I ended up buying 3 different boxes of Belgian chocolate and found my favourite pastry in the patisserie section - pain au chocolat!

...another gorgeous shop!...

...in the window of a chocolatier...
...Hot wine? I must try some!...

I wondered further away from Grand Place and came across a street housing the usual brands of apparel shops such as Benetton, Bershka, MNG etc. I browsed in a couple of local malls then decided it was time to find my way back to the hotel before it got dark!


************************************************************

This morning, we rose early and enjoyed a beautiful buffet breakfast where I got to meet with some of Gypsy Boy's international colleagues. I have to say that the breakfast at the hotel is pretty darn good, with a huge range of pastries, cereals, yoghurts, cheeses, cold meats [including smoked salmon!], eggs cooked to order, sausages, potatoes, baked beans etc. Phew! It was a great way to start the day.

...La Musee du chocolat...

As Gypsy Boy headed off to start his course, I headed out for day 2 in the city of Brussels! I set out this time to find Place de Sablon, an area filled with shops selling antiques, books and art before paying a visit to the Chocolate Museum where I saw a demonstration on how to make Belgian chocolates!

I browsed in some of the lace shops and bought two little lavender filled scent cushions for my Mum and Gypsy Boy's Mum, both with their initials embroidered on. I also went into a beer shop and bought 2 bottles of fruit flavoured Belgian beers for Gypsy Boy to try as I know he's been dying to taste them since we got here! Then I headed back for the hotel to meet Gypsy Boy for lunch.



There was a lunch put on again for his course attendees however I suspect he was a little envious of my delicious traditional Belgian feast yesterday and so decided to skip the free sandwiches today. So off we went to Chez Leon where he ordered what I had yesterday and I ordered a poached fillet of Pangas with potatoes. Yum!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh GyspyGirl! So great to see these photos of Brussels, the weather looks great and reminds me of de Nederlands (of course I guess... being so close...).

I've swapped to pain au chocolat as being my favourite pastry as well, more consistent than almond croissants and the kicker is that they only have about 1/2 the fat!

So great to see you and GB in front of that delicious lunch!

Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip!

GYPSY GIRL said...

Salut Matty! I just had some delicious hot chocolate! Oh, and we bought TONS of belgian chocolate too - Leonidas and Pierre Marcolini - and that's not counting what I bought yesterday!!! Hee hee.

I know what you mean, the buildings remind me a lot of the canal houses we saw in Amsterdam, minus the canals of course...

I can't believe you've swapped favourites! You used to kill for an almond croissant! Good thing pain au chocolat has 1/2 the fat, that's good news for me I guess :-)

Ciao ciao!

rinaz said...

Oooh ... This is the first time I'm seeing a picture of you.

You're so pretty. And gypsyboy too. I mean, handsome, for him.

What what a lovely adventure you have in Brussels. My gosh, it must have been thrilling and so much fun!

Seeing all the sights and experience the lifestyle.

I can only drool at the chocolate bread that you're talking about :)

GYPSY GIRL said...

Hi Rinaz!

*Giggle* I know, I don't post too many pics of us up there 'cos we're a little shy[lah] :-P

Thanks for the big compliment though Hee hee.

Brussels was nice - lovely to be in Europe again and loved the atmosphere and food! I think we got a bit carried away buying Belgian chocolate though! Oops!