Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Roti Man!



As a little girl living in Malaysia, my brother and I used to wait for the 'Roti Man' to come around on his motorbike every evening.

He'd simply drive around the streets of the neighbourhood and beep his horn calling out 'Roti!, Roti!' meaning 'bread' in Malay. Mounted on the back of his bike was a box full of bread, and hanging on the outside of the box were bags full of delicious chips, sweet bread and other types of goodies. It was a junk foodies dream!

As soon as we heard his cries, we'd run to find our mother and ask her if we need any bread before pestering her for 10 or 20 sen for our favourite junk food purchases!

It's interesting to see the humble and familiar Roti Man has made it onto a TV ad for Malaysian Idol!

4 comments:

JOY said...

Awh what a lovely story!

Love the music by the way.

Bit like running to catch the ice-cream van!

GYPSY GIRL said...

I just couldn't stop laughing when I first saw this video clip!

Yes, we also had the ice cream 'man' come round on motorcycle and in this ad, it's a competition between the 'roti man' and the milkman. :-)

rinaz said...

Haha! I couldnt help replaying this again and again ... its that entertaining!

GYPSY GIRL said...

I know! It's hillarious.

I'm glad it has offered you a 'break' from study. Hope that's going well by the way.