Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Independent study.

This time last week, I was attending my last Arabic Language for Beginners class. It was an 8-week (16-hour) course, but I managed to miss 3 weeks of classes due to enrolling a week late, being sick, and work commitments.

The aspects of the course I really enjoyed were learning the language, the interaction between tutor and students, and the opportunity to ask questions about Arabic culture or about the different regional variations affecting the language. I found more similarities Arabic shares with Bahasa Malaysia (Malay) than I was expecting and being able to speak Malay, this helped a lot.

This week, some of the students have made a private arrangement with the tutor to continue on as a group in one of their homes. As much as I'd like to advance in learning the language, I didn't find the tutor's language teaching method effective for me. So, in the weekend while browsing in the Virgin Megastore at the mall, I bought an Arabic Language Kit complete with workbooks, CDs and cassette tapes!

It's been some time since I studied a language on my own, and I'm really looking forward to making a start on it. I think it's going to be a far cry from the pressure and self-discipline I faced studying Te Reo Maori (the language of the natives of NZ) by correspondence for Bursary University Entrance level at school. I'll keep you posted with how I go!

6 comments:

JOY said...

Well done on keeping up with the Arabic! It does seem like a very difficult language to learn.

Next time I see you I will expect you to teach me a few words be warned!

GYPSY GIRL said...

Joy, it's not difficult at all. You would've loved learning it and would've had no trouble at all!

Now, does that mean you're planning a trip over soon? ;-)

Milky Marmalade said...

Well done, Gypsy Girl! In the two years I've been here, I can barely string together a sentence in Arabic. Not an easy language to learn, I've been told. Excuses, excuses!

Btw, welcome back to blogging :)

GYPSY GIRL said...

Thanks Milky Marmalade - it's good to be back. No, Arabic is really not that difficult - well, spoken anyway. Also if you have Malay under your belt (which you may if you're from Singapore?), you'll find similarities which make it even easier!

Milky Marmalade said...

You're right. I find certain Arabic words v. familiar (certain days of the week, for example).

My exposure to Arabic is limited to voiceovers on TV and recorded messages on the phone:)

GYPSY GIRL said...

LOL. Yep, like "Al Juma'a a la One TV"!